Saturday 7 March 2009

Gwyneth Paltrow's Hindu Haircut

Regular readers of this blog may not have been aware: Gwyneth Paltrow has had a haircut.

Gwyneth revealed that this was part of the healing process following the death of her father. "I was very very attached to my hair," she says. "I still had hair from when my father was alive. I made it a talisman. Then one day, on a shoot with Mario Testino, I suddenly said 'I need to cut it now'. It was almost as if it was part of the grieving process. I just had to let something go."

Gwyneth may not have known this, but she is a karma yogi going through the process of samskara.

A karma yogi fulfills her destiny, or achieves personal growth, or attains moksha, by facing up to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune with integrity and dignity, in accord with her dharma. Rituals, like cutting one's hair when a father dies, are ways of ways of coping with grief and moving the soul along its natural journey.

Traditional Hindu doctrine might have preferred for the psyche to step into a new life-stage in front of the sacred fire rather than at a Mario Testino photo-shoot, but that surely is a minor detail.

2 comments:

Radhika said...

Now - this is a good title for a blog. I stopped in the middle of work to read it. You got to work away from economics/cricket type headings which I would save for a rainy day to racy pacy tabloid type headlines. See this is what comes of trying to put together scripts non stop - need to give my editorial inputs on everything!

Prithvi Chandrasekhar said...

Also gives me a reason to put photos of Gwyneth on my blog. Nice change, after photos of bears, pigs and anteaters.