Thursday 26 March 2009

Atonement

Within minutes of starting Atonement, I had transcended time and gender and stepped into Briony Tallis’ skin. I knew her: her vanity, modesty, self-absorption, idealism. I felt her intoxication, the acuteness of her need. I was in thrall. This clearly was outstanding fiction.

But then, while surfacing for a breath, I made the mistake of reading the blurb on the back cover. The blurb hinted at a sad story. It talked about “Robbie and Cecilia will have crossed a boundary they had not even imagined at its start. Briony will have…committed a crime for which she will spend the rest of her life trying to atone”.

My credit-crunch wearied soul had no appetite for more sadness. For instance, I have no intention of reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, however well it is written. So I put Atonement down and moved on to the (mediocre) consolations of Eragon.

Fortunately, Atonement remained in the stack of books on my bedside table. I picked it up again, and on this second go, I couldn’t put it down. And, best of all, it is not a sad story. I just finished the last chapter, and I was standing on my chair and cheering as I read the words

Here’s the beginning of love at the end of our travail
So farewell,kind friends, as into the sunset we sail.

Or more accurately, despite finishing the last chapter on a transatlantic flight, my spirit was standing and cheering.

I haven’t seen the movie. I know Keira Knightly is in the film, and she could only play Cecilia. I let myself imagine Keira’s face on Cecilia, and that worked fine. Good casting.

But how would this book work on film? The tension in the book is between reality, and another reality that might have been. In a book, that alternative reality can be hinted at, and the imagination will do the rest. In a movie, the imagination does not have the time to conjure up an alternative reality. Mind-states, or streams of consciousness, which are created so precisely in this book, rarely communicate on screen. Recreating a period only goes so far. Where will the narrative tension that drives the film forward come from?

I believe the film is good. Looking forward to it…

BTW…being in thrall, being immersed in a complete world which is known only through the imagination, has got to be the greatest joy, the most important purpose, of fiction. Film doesn’t work that way. Film works by saturating the senses, not by engaging the imagination.

For the exception which proves that rule, watch Picnic at Hanging Rock. Its probably the most gripping suspense film I've seen; first watched as a teenager in Madras, back when a late night English film on Doordarshan was a rare treat.

6 comments:

Subhrendu K. Pattanayak said...

I was there; that is, watching Picnic at Hanging Rock while in school. The movie still haunts me: I want the girls to be found and brought back to boarding school safe and sound. Who is Keira Knightly - the one who stole Jassi's slippers in Bend it?

Yeshie said...

Glad you finally finished it. How about an acknowledgement for a good book recommendation? It's definitely one of my top 10.

Dr SKP - yes, Keira Knightley was in Bend It and is the quintessentially English heroine. No-one else could have played Cecilia.

TS Anil said...

Love all Ian's stuff. My favorite part of Atonement (if its the sort of book where you can even have a "favorite part") - is the description of the mother's migraine attack coming. She goes up to rest for the afternoon, but the awareness tentacles of her mind creep throughout the house through her nap and are aware of all that is happening in the house. The description is mesmerizing.

Radhika said...

One of my top 10 too. Briony's world in enthralling. And I love the way perception colours reality.

The movie's good, but not great. The kid who plays Briony is wonderful though and Keira pouts charmingly through it all.

Prithvi Chandrasekhar said...

Yeshie has been telling me to read Atonement for ages. And she was rightly incredulous when I started it and put it down because I'm not in shape for a sad story.

I too loved the bit about the mother's tentacles creeping through the house. Those tentacles were very real, and are impossible to show on film.

On casting, how about Winona Ryder? She can be intense and fragile at the same time, like in Girl Interrupted.

Or the Liz Taylor of old? Was looking for a phrase to describe Cecilia and came up with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Vikas said...

Prithvi - You are clearly on a movie bashing trip. This post was reminiscent of your thoughts on LOTR book vs movie. So is the conclusion that "Singh is King" is the quintessential content for the medium? :) btw, if you haven't, see Paprika. Now that's a different kind of a film.

Must read Atonement now. Should take the film out of my Netflix queue.