Tuesday 7 February 2012

Che Guevara: Fidel Castro :: Jesus: Christ


Che Guevara is an iconic hero, universally beloved and revered. Fidel Castro is often seen as a villain, hated and reviled as one of the world's last Stalinist thugs. But, are they really all that different? Or, did Che just have the advantage of dying young and therefore remaining pure, while Fidel lived on, grappling with and being tainted by an imperfect world?

This thought was triggered by the book I reviewed in my last blog post, The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ, by Philip Pullman. Pullman's intent was to contrast noble, idealistic Jesus with his cynical fictional twin brother, Christ. Pullman conceived Christ as a metaphor for the institutional church. I understood Christ even more broadly, as a general metaphor for institutional life. The tension between an organization's ideals and its reality is universal. The only way to be genuinely Jesus-like is to die young, and to therefore avoid the failures and compromises that inevitably come from engaging with the messy real world.

To further strengthen the analogy, Che and Fidel have really cool beards, like Jesus and Christ. Though I don't think either Jesus or Christ smoked cigars...

Che smoking a cigar
Fidel smoking a cigar

Che and Fidel

4 comments:

Prithvi Chandrasekhar said...

Note: Re-reading this post, I thought it is worth clarifying that I am not in any way sympathetic to communism. I don't see the inevitable disappointments of organizational life as a reason to abandon ideals, either.

cricket news said...

Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your weblog. You have some really great articles and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested.

Thoduvanam said...

Ideals dying young...
leaving a legacy of little glitter... Penned eloquently..

Prithvi Chandrasekhar said...

Thanks Kalidoss