Monday 19 November 2007

Marathon Training

What's the score?

Week 2

Tue, Nov 6: 5 games of squash
Thu, Nov 8: 30 min. 5 km. Intervals at 7.5 and 12.5 kmph
Fri, Nov 9: 45 min. 7.5 km @ 10 kmph
Sat, Nov 10: 30 min. 5.0 km. At 10 kmph

Total: 17.5 km + 5 games squash

Week 3

Tue, Nov 13: 4 games of squash
Wed, Nov 14: 30 min. 5.2 km. Just slightly over 10kmph
Thu, Nov 15: 36 min. 6 km. Intervals at 7.5 and 12.5 kmph
Sun Nov 18: 36 min. 6 km. Cruise @ 10kmph + 10 min on rowing m/c

Total: 19.2 km + 4 games squash

Observations:

1. My attitude to training has changed since in signed up for the Marathon.

Working out used to be me-time that I looked forward to. Now that I have to do the miles, working out has become a chore to be completed rather than a treat I'm giving myself. I'm feeling apologetic about tearing myself away from work and the children to go clock in the miles. That saps energy. If I slope into a training session feeling apologetic, half-embarrassed and unconsciously thinking I really ought to be elsewhere, I'm not going to find gas in the tank when I want to push myself for another couple of miles or pump up the pace on the last lap.

I'm going to set this right. I'm going to slot in training carefully into my calendar, so I know I'm not stealing time from another part of my life. I'll spend a couple of minutes warming up and visualizing the run before I set off. And approach each run with focus, enthusiasm and pride.

2. I need an afternoon snack. I'm out of fuel around 4:30 pm. That's prime time for unhealthy and energy sapping snacks. That also takes energy away from my run in the evening.

3. I need to watch my diet more closely because I'm in training. I've let myself indulge a bit. I'm in training has become a bit of an excuse to over-eat and snack on potato chips. This is absurd

4. Squash is actually a nice change from running. I'm going to continue playing through the marathon training period. I'll basically be playing only league matches. That's OK.

No comments: