Saturday 24 November 2007

Cultural learnings of Eng-a-land for make benefit glorious nation of Hindustan

The city magistrates of Nottingham has just banned five notorious, aggressive beggars from begging in the city center, sitting within ten meters of a cash point, or selling the Big Issue without authorization.

In case you're wondering, the UK's per capital GDP at ppp is around $35000.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=133965&command=displayContent&sourceNode=133948&contentPK=18991107&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my driver back in Bombay in the late 90s.

My driver then was Anil Thakker, a hard working Gujarati who was carefully saving up money to pay a broker for a job in the Gulf. We were on Marine Drive. A few beggers were hovering around the car. Anil asked me if there were beggers outside India. I told him there were, many. He flatly refused to believe me.

No comments: