Saturday 8 September 2007

Showdown at Lord's

About an hour to go for the final game of the India tour of England. I'm allowing myself to hope India will win. But before the game starts, and my emotions are no longer in my control, I just want to record my thanks for a memorable summer's cricket.

What will I remember?

Saurav-da defining the meaning of character. Stuart Broad pulling off the impossible at Old Trafford, in front of his father Chris. Sachin back in his pomp. A savage Dravid batting at the death in Bristol. Ian Bell ending the chat about his weak chin and his "I don't really belong here" sheepish smile. Dimitri Mascarenhas' sixer hitting. Chawla rattling Pietersen's stumps, and Ian Bell's. Agarkar, the eternal scapegoat, also hitting Bell's off stump with a Sandhu-like inswinger. Jamie Andersen proving that quicks can field. Uthappa flipping Broad over short fine leg, forcing long off to come up, and then drilling Broad down to the long off boundary...how long we've waited for an Indian Bevan. Yes, I am daring to hope. And I haven't started talking about the tests yet.

What will I remember of the tests?

Dhoni playing the unlikely match-saver at Lord's. Kartik and Jaffer batting like openers. Zaheer bowling around the wicket. Jelly beans. Michael Vaughan's century. Sreesanth losing his cool and his line. Monty trapping Dravid at short extra cover. Chris Tremlett keeping his purpose alive bowling for a lost cause. Kumble's century at the Oval. The famous follow-on not enforced. Sachin's stumps splattered. The picture of Sachin with the trophy, as exhillarated as a teenager. After all the dirtyness and stupidity, this is why the game is still worth playing.

Link to another blogger expressing the same sentiment.

Cricinfo - Blogs - Rob's Lobs

I did consider going down to Lord's for the season finale. Tickets are selling on eBay for about £500 for a pair. At £250 per pair I would have bought it. But 500 is a little too far beyond my budget.

No comments: