Wednesday 12 January 2011

Cyborgs Creating Self




I just listened to a podcast by Amber Case, an anthropologist who studies how people use digital technology. She said something that really resonated with me:

What I'm really worried about is that people aren't taking time for mental reflection any more, and they aren't slowing down and stopping... And really, when you have no external input, that is the time when there is creation of self, when you can do long term planning, when you can figure out who you really are.

And once you figure out who you really are, you can present yourself in a legitimate way, instead of just dealing with everything as it comes in: oh, I have to do this, I have to do this, I have to do this...I am really worried today that kids are not going to have this downtime. They have this instantaneous button clicking culture, and that everything comes to them...


I'll say the important part again, to make the words mine: when you have no external input, that is the time when there is creation of self.

I value downtime, and the sense for who I really am that that gives me. I'd assumed that is because of my INTJ personality type, but maybe it is a more universal need. Most spiritual practice, or long distance running, or hip contemporary spa experiences seem to be about creating quiet spaces where self can be created.

I don't share Amber Case's worry that kids brought up with smart phones and facebook will lose their sense of self, any more than kids brought up with twenty four hour television, or in crowded joint-family homes, lost their sense of self. If the psyche needs quiet time, it will generally find a way to get that quiet time, in whatever context.

Also, this is excellent time management advice. Responding to email as it streams in all day long is exhausting. I try to keep specific blocks of calendar time for email, and to not respond at other times, even though my Blackberry makes it possible.

7 comments:

Radhika said...

Personally I too worry about kids and the lack of unstructured down time. Their days are packed with structured activity and play (largely). Read somewhere that could lead to the child losing the ability to be creative, to imagine, to create play. Maybe making the time is part of the INTJ personality, not sure if it would work with other types in our current culture.

Prithvi Chandrasekhar said...

Calvin and Hobbes showed us all about the right way to pack days. I too think too many kids are over-scheduled by pushy parents.

My scepticism is at a slightly more abstract level. Through history, whenever important new technologies have appeared, Cassandras have also appeared predicting that this technology will ruin the civilization and the human race. Throughout history, they have been wrong, because people have found ways to creatively absorb the new technology into their lives.

Sure, there are technologies, like GM crops, that are really worth worrying about a lot. But it is also worth treating the cassandras to a lot of scepticism. It is very easy to predict that things are going to unravel.

Amanda said...

I found this post to be really thought provoking. Because at first I completely agreed with Amber but when I really thought about it I realised that, like Prithvi, it is the same problem that previous generations were faced with when television really took over everyones life. And look what those generations achieved. I mean we have to take everything with a pinch of salt, even my text statement - having the world so opened up to us is not a bad thing. I believe it makes us better people. I hope to blog about this issue soon. And would love you see your comments so look out for it soon!

Prithvi Chandrasekhar said...

Thanks Amanda. Am looking out for your blog post on having the world opened up for us. Totally share the sentiment that that is more good than bad.

Amanda said...

One question! How did you load the Ted talk video to your post I can do it from YouTube but not from TedTalks
Thanks

Prithvi Chandrasekhar said...

Hi Amanda,

There is a button under the video labelled "embed video". Cut and paste the code from the window near this button into blogger. Should work. Cheers,

Prithvi

Amanda said...

I have finally blogged about this video! Thank you for your help Prithvi!